Saturday, October 20, 2007

The Terrorist

I detest the bearded man in white and his allies.
His heart is darker than the coal in his eyes.
I've decided he can never be my friend
He has far too many ghastly stories to tell.

When I pass his streets I am filled with vengeance
For the future murders he must contemplate
I can see slit throats and bloody bodies all over
his dirty and brightly colored neighborhood.

A cold shadow, my canopy, and his eyes meet mine.
Fragments of anger and chunks of fear, a shiver runs up my spine.
"What have I done that you hate me so?" his innocent eyes lie.
In silence I answer, my eyes search for his guns or his knife.

"You rape, you kill! You're a maniac, a fanatic!"
I scream in an after thought of impulse.
"You're a murderer, a lunatic, a disgrace to mankind! -
A mad man, if you will!"

He watches me in silence as my eyes begin to boil.
Till they boil and boil and boil and boil and
the froth of my hatred spills.
"You shouldn't be alive," I say, "each of you must die."

He nods and turns around and I can read his mind.
"You're a terrorist!" I shout, words he left behind.
But as he walks a defeated trail, I hear a wordless cry.
"You're as much a terrorist as me, maybe better than I."

5 comments:

the stygian sailor said...

Well, not one of your best efforts, but it indeed has some good lines.
you terrorized him in the end, thats totally expected.... ha ha ha
ok its not funny
just kidding!
you can definitely do better

Karish said...

I'd agree with the sailor... But it's kinda different from the usual subjects you decide to write about(mom) and two thumbs up for that!

The Chosen Reject said...

one of your weakest pieces...ur much better than this. Cheers for all the good stuff

vichchoobhai said...

I am your bitterest critic and best friend if u rememebr, but this one is really nice. I liked the twist in the tail at the end. Reminded me of some poem which ends with " the dog it was that died"

yes, we are all terrorists, some openly so and others in the closet !

Rae said...

this one came out of extreme frustration and too many pitchers at a very noise bar. forgive me, everyone else. vicchhoobhai, thanks!!